Words to live by:

Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Coffee challenge.

As a 'hardcore' coffee drinker from the majority of my teens to now, it never occurred to me that it was truly bad for me. Of course, I remember the schpiel they'd always give us in school. Yeah, yeah...caffeine's a drug...addiction...blah blah. I'd always think, "Ease up people, I'm drinking a cup of french vanilla with 2 sugars, not smoking crack."

Realistically though, when most of us coffee drinkers REALLY think about it... could you go a morning without coffee and/or caffeine of any sort? A day? A week? I would have scoffed at the idea! But... as you may know from my last post, I am all about educating myself on the effects of the foods/liquids I choose to put into my body. Too many of us just eat and drink things knowing full well they are bad for us, but would probably opt out of drinking/eating those foods if we knew just HOW bad they are.

I'll spare you the gory details of what long term caffeine use does to your innards, but I started weaning myself off of coffee last week. First my usual, tons of coffee all day every day, then less, and even less, and even less. I am now on day #5 of being coffee/caffeine free!

I won't lie and say it's easy. The headaches alone are enough to make someone break down. Surprisingly,  a lot of my difficulty is breaking my mental addiction to it. I have my mind trained to tell my body that I can't function without it, that I NEED it. It's craziness.

My point of all of this? Just try it! Put away the Mr. Coffee and set down the Diet Coke. Give it at least a week. I think you'll find at the end of the 7 days, you don't really NEED it like you think you do. Your innards will thank you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment