Words to live by:

Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

Monday, February 28, 2011

The Time I Locked My Keys in the Car...sort of.

Firstly, let me just say that this is not a story I am particularly excited to share with the world, but it's just too ridiculous not to! After all, what can we do if not laugh at ourselves?

Last night, after a lazy afternoon of laying on the couch watching our shows, Tyler and I went out for dinner. As we were pulling into the driveway upon returning, I realized that the following day was trash day. We got out of my car, and admittedly, I started instructing Tyler how to properly put the trash by the curb. (Sidenote: In my defense, we got a 'stern' letter from the trash man last week because we supposedly did it wrong. Who knew?!) We finally agreed on the way the trash can is supposed to be, and started to head inside...and that's when I realized. Where are my keys? Check the inside of my purse, nope. Check my pockets, nope. Check the ground, nope.

"Tyler, do you have my keys?"
"No...why?"
"Um. I don't have my keys...they must be in be in my car. And I locked it..."
"GREAT."

...and so began the night! Not having ANY spare keys + being poor newlyweds and being unable to pay for a locksmith = Tyler Google's "How to Break Into a Car", while I began making all the frantic phone calls: to my parents, to my brother-in-law, to my friend who's husband is a sheriff deputy, to another friend who works at a local car dealer; anyone that we thought would know what to do. Within 10 minutes, our friends Nick and Kristi Score arrived and attempted the ol' coat hanger maneuver. Soon after, my sister and brother-in-law showed up to try their hand at it. Over an hour passed, and I walked inside the house feeling embarrassed, and terrible for taking up our friends free time on a Sunday night. I moved my purse to sit down on the couch and heard a tiny metal 'clink'. Odd, since I had dumped everything out of it earlier - just to make sure my keys were for SURE not in there. Then it dawned on me. THE SIDE POCKET!

Yes, sure enough...my keys were in there. I was distracted with the trash can, and put them in a place in my purse that I NEVER put them, thus I didn't even think to look there in my panic. Long story short: I have the greatest friends, family, and husband I could ever ask for. Yes, I received PLENTY of grief for it that night and probably always will, but nobody was genuinely mad - and if they were, I certainly don't blame them. I'm just going to file that experience under, "Things Nobody Will Ever Let Me Live Down", and just take it with a smile!

After everyone left, I told Tyler it was all just a test to see how much he loved me...FYI: he passed with flying colors! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment