Words to live by:

Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Smoke, roaches, and mold - oh my!

Yesterday was an exciting day for the fiancé and I...we finally got to go inside and look at our future home! My parents own a house in Owasso and have been renting it to the same tenants for almost 5 years. When we started searching for places to live, God allowed a lot of things to fall perfectly into place and we were able to secure my parent's little rent house as our future home after we're married.

The tenants moved out yesterday so me, Tyler, my parents, sister, and brother-in-law all rushed down to the property to see the house's condition. Unfortunately, the tenants took horrible care of the place the entire time they lived there, so we knew going into it that it would need work. Little did we know, "needs work" is a complete understatement! Aside from all the trash and junk they left, the house wreaks of stale cigarette smoke. The walls are cracked and yellowed, the cabinets are falling off, the stove was so caked with grease and remnants of food you could barely tell it was supposed to be white. I'll spare you the details about the roaches and the rotting bathtub and bathroom floor. Needless to say, the house will be receiving an almost complete remodel.

Honestly, it was super difficult for me to remain positive and try to see past the house's current state. Tyler is such a glass-half-full kind of guy, so every time I pointed out a negative, he was right behind me with a positive comment. It was uplifting to see his excitement about our little house, not for what it looks like now, but for what it will become. I think I'll need to see a little progress on the renovations before I can share in that excitable feeling. :)

Regardless of how it looks, Operation Love Nest Overhaul is officially in motion and we are that much closer to starting our lives together. Woo!

P.S.-I was going to post pictures of the house, but I decided it'll be fun to do a before and after post when the house is completed. Believe me, you won't want to miss that one!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you have house drama! No fun. I agree that before and after pics will be more fun. Great seeing you yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete